Some Thoughts on this Work from Practitioner Krista McAtee

Tagore quote
Photo by Harry Grout, Unplash.com


As a white woman, I am noticing how my language is shifting on an almost-daily basis! Our evolution is happening quickly. That said, I won’t be quiet for fear of being clumsy with my words. I make mistakes. But if I say something awkward or inept, I own it, apologize, and move on, learning from my misstep. My intention is to support inclusion for everyone.

I often remind myself of these truths that have so long lain dormant:

  • There is no such thing as "not racist." We can be or act in racist OR anti-racist ways. If we are claiming "not racist," it is because we likely have not named and deconstructed the ways we have been conditioned in white supremacy.
  • White folks are the ones who need to do the work of dismantling white supremacy. It is ours to do. We need to lean on other white people in our learning, grieving, discomfort, guilt, shame, advocacy—not on BIPOC (Black, indigenous, and people of color). It is not their job to forgive and educate us—it’s ours.
  • We benefit. We do this work for our own hearts, for our own growth, for our own peace, to recognize our own wholeness. We have to come from a place of our personal need to transform, not from "helping" or "making it better" for BIPOC.
  • We have benefited. As a white person, although I did not create this racist system/society, I have benefited from it in countless ways, visible and invisible. Saying that "I did not create it" doesn’t remove my responsibility for having participated in it and benefited from it all my life. Saying I didn't create it can serve to dismiss the experience of BIPOC and may protect my ego but does nothing to create a new and just reality.
  • It is my responsibility to see, name, and deconstruct white supremacy in every space I find myself. Any time I am not doing that, I am colluding with white supremacy. This goes back to the point above: white folks need to do the heavy lifting here!


Comments

  1. Thank you Krista McAtte, I appreciate this post because it gives me hope. Taking responsibility so important. Often not easy for us all.

    There will be times when we will feel our own fragility, humanity. Times when people will misunderstand our intentions, speak hate and challenge the indoctrination in white supremacy. Yes we will miss the mark at times.

    The invitation is not go back to sleep and to keep moving forward. I appreciate your sharing the truths outlined. Keep shining the light of truth. It will prevail. Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.
    Love,
    Debra Ellis RScP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Debra Ellis!

    There is SO much for us to learn and unlearn. That hasn't been more evident in my lifetime than it is right now!

    We've absolutely got to take responsibility and build our Social Justice muscles. We've got to get beyond out fragility to be able the embrace the changes that are required to dismantle white supremacy. AND we are stronger in community, in communities that LOVE and hold one another and ourselves accountable.

    Thank you for your comments!

    Love,
    Krista

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Radical Friendship - A Play by Jane Marla Robbins, Saturday, February 19, 7 pm

Powerful Summer Reading - You Are Your Best Thing, edited by Tarana Burke and Brene Brown