Simple Things Count: Seven Ways to Be More Inclusive of People with Disabilities


I am not a fan of the ways in which Microsoft tracks what I view in my browser and then decides what else I might want to see. However, this morning the algorithm called up a series of recommendations on how to be more inclusive of people with disabilities. It's worth taking the time to watch the seven episodes, each is under two minutes.

This first one grabbed my attention. My mother was injured hiking in the snow when I was eight months old. She learned to do everything "normal" people did, just in her own way. That included having five more children.

When we were out and about, going shopping, to a movie or whatever, people would come up to her, speak slowly and loudly, asking if she needed any help. She was a brilliant woman and her physical limitations didn't impact her brain or her hearing. They made ridiculous assumptions and missed getting to know a remarkable human being.

So in tribute to my mom and all the differently-abled people in our world, I share this video: Simple Things Count  Yes, it subtly makes Microsoft look good, it is still very powerful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Thoughts on this Work from Practitioner Krista McAtee

A Radical Friendship - A Play by Jane Marla Robbins, Saturday, February 19, 7 pm

Powerful Summer Reading - You Are Your Best Thing, edited by Tarana Burke and Brene Brown